• Contact us
  • +92 (51) 2287387

Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa


You can apply for the Tier 4 (Child) student visa if you’re aged between 4 and 17 and you want to study at an independent school in the UK.

You must also:

  • • have a place on a course
  • • have the consent of your parent or guardian
  • • have enough money to cover your course fees and living costs
  • • are from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • • meet the other eligibility requirements
  • There has been no change to the rights and status of EU nationals in the UK, and UK nationals in the EU, as a result of the referendum.

How long it will take

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.

You’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks. You can check visa processing times for your country.

How long you can stay

Your age and the length of your course of study will affect how long you can stay.

You can arrive in the UK:

  • • up to 1 week before your course starts if your course lasts 6 months or less
  • • up to 1 month before your course starts if your course lasts more than 6 months

What you can and can’t do

You can:

  • • study at an independent school
  • • apply from inside or outside the UK
  • apply to extend your stay
  • You can also work, if you’re 16 or over:

  • • part-time during term for up to 10 hours per week
  • • full-time during vacations
  • • on a work placement as part of your course, (but not for more than 50% of your course time)
  • • as a student union sabbatical officer for up to 2 years
  • You can’t:

  • • study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school) or further education college
  • • get public funds
  • • take a full-time permanent job or be self-employed
  • • work as a doctor or dentist in training
  • • work as a professional sportsperson (eg a sports coach) or entertainer
  • • settle in the UK on this visa
  • • bring in family members (‘dependants’) - if your parents want to accompany you, they’ll need to apply for a parent of a Tier 4 (Child) visa