• Contact us
  • +92 (51) 2287387

Tier 4 (General) Student Visa


You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK if you’re 16 or over and you:

  • • have been offered a place on a course
  • • can speak, read, write and understand English
  • • have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course - the amount will vary depending on your circumstances
  • • are from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • • meet the other eligibility requirements

There has been no change to the rights and status of EU nationals in the UK, and UK nationals in the EU, as a result of the referendum.

How long you can stay

You can arrive in the UK before your course starts:

  • • up to 1 week before, if your course lasts 6 months or less
  • • up to 1 month before, if your course lasts more than 6 months

How long you can stay depends on the kind of course you’re doing and what study you’ve already completed.

What you can and can’t do

You can:

  • • study
  • • work as a student union sabbatical officer
  • • apply from inside or outside the UK
  • apply to extend your stay
  • • work in most jobs - depending on what level your course is and what kind of sponsor you have
  • You can’t:

  • • get public funds
  • • work in certain jobs, eg professional sportsperson or sports coach
  • • study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school)
  • You may be able to bring in family members (dependants).