You must apply for a Marriage Visitor visa if:
- • you want to get married or register a civil partnership in the UK
- • you want to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership in UK
- • you’re not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership
- • you meet the other eligibility requirements
You don’t need a Marriage Visitor visa to convert your civil partnership into a marriage - you can apply for a Standard Visitor visa.
You can’t apply if you qualify for British citizenship - including if you can have dual nationality. You must apply for British citizenship instead.
How long it takes to get a visa
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.
Example You can apply from 16 March if you plan to travel on 15 June.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
You can check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.
How long you can stay
You can use this visa to visit the UK for up to 6 months.
What you can and can’t do
You can use this visa to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK:
- • within 6 months of your arrival
- • in any location licensed for this purpose
- • get public funds
- • bring in family members (‘dependants’) - they must apply separately
- • live in the UK for extended periods through frequent visits
- • extend your visa or switch to another visa
- • work - except for permitted activities related to your work or business overseas, eg attending meetings
- • study for more than 30 days - studying can’t be the main reason for your visit