• Contact us
  • +92 (51) 2287387

Minister of Religion


You can apply for a Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa if:

  • • you’ve been offered a job within a faith community (eg as a minister of religion, missionary, or member of a religious order) in the UK
  • • you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  • • you meet the other eligibility requirements

Getting sponsored

You need to be sponsored (ie have a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed sponsor) before you can apply to come to the UK to work.

The work you do in the UK must relate to the work of your sponsor organisation.

How long it will take

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the day you’re due to start work in the UK. This date is listed on your certificate of sponsorship.

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.

Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.

You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.

How long you can stay

You can come to the UK with a Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa for a maximum of up to 3 years and 1 month, or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 1 month, whichever is shorter.

You can apply to extend your stay.

You must apply before your visa expires.

Your time in the UK must start no more than 14 days before the start date on your certificate of sponsorship.

What you can and can’t do

You can:

  • • work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
  • • do a second job
  • • do voluntary work
  • • study as long as it doesn’t interfere with the job you’re sponsored for
  • • travel abroad and return to the UK
  • • bring • bring family members (‘dependants’) with you

You can’t:

  • • own more than 10% of your sponsor’s shares (unless you earn more than £155,300 a year)
  • get public funds
  • • start working before you get your visa
  • • apply for a second job until you’ve started working for your sponsor

You’ll need to make a new application to the Home Office if you want to do a second job that’s not in the same sector as your main job.