• Contact us
  • +92 (51) 2287387

Short-Term Study Visa


You can apply for a Short-term study visa if:

  • • you’re doing a short course of study in the UK
  • • you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  • • you meet the other eligibility requirements

You need a Standard Visitor visa if you’re an academic visitor.

You can’t apply if you qualify for British citizenship - including if you can have dual nationality. You must apply for British citizenship instead.

What you can and can’t do

You can:

  • • do a short course of study in the UK, such as an English language course or a training course
  • • do a short period of research as part of a degree course if you are studying abroad

You can’t:

  • • study at a state school
  • • work (including on a work placement or work experience) or carry out any business
  • • extend this visa
  • • bring family members (‘dependants’) with you - they must apply separately
  • • get public funds

How long you can stay

You can stay in the UK for:

You’ll be given a shorter visa and won’t be able to extend that visa if your child is going to:

  • • 6 months - for any short course (including English language courses), or short period of research if you’re 18 or over
  • • 11 months - if you’re 18 or over and taking an English language course

You must leave the UK when your visa expires in either case, and can’t switch to a different visa category. If your child is staying in education in the UK without you, you must make arrangements for their ongoing care.

How long it will take

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in the country you’re applying from.