• Contact us
  • +92 (51) 2287387



You’ll need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and you want to join, for 6 months or more, a partner or family member who’s living in the UK permanently.

You don’t need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa to visit your family for up to 6 months, but you should check if you need a Family Visitor visa.

Your family member can:

  • • be a British citizen
  • • have settled in the UK
  • • have asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK

If you meet the eligibility requirements, you can apply to:

  • • join your partner (spouse, fiancé(e), civil or unmarried partner)
  • • join your parent
  • • come to look after your child
  • • come to be looked after by family


You may need to apply in a different way if:

  • • your partner is from the EEA
  • • you’re inside the UK
  • • you want to reunite with a partner or parent who has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK

How long it takes

You should get a decision on your visa within 12 weeks. Check the guide to processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.

What you can and can’t do

You can use your ‘family of a settled person’ visa to:

  • • work (you can’t work if you’ve got a visa to get married or to become civil partners)
  • • study

You can’t get public funds for yourself and any dependants.

Extend your stay

You may be able to apply to extend your visa or settle in the UK permanently.